Paneer is one of the favorite cheese. Its easy to make and tastes awesome when made fresh. Its usese very tastefully in variety of North Indian dishes. Its very easy to make paneer in your own kitchen. Unlike ready made paneer homemade paneer is healthy and can be part of our everyday meal. It is good source of protein.
Cottage cheese | Paneer
Milk – 1/2 liter
Yogurt – 1/2 cup
or lemon 2 to 3 tbs
1) Heat the milk in a deep bottom vessel. Stir the milk continuously to avoid burning of milk.
2) Once the bubbles appear on the sides of the vessel add the yogurt , one spoon at a time or lime juice .
3) Reduce the heat to medium and keep stirring. The milk will turn into curd ( if it does not then add more lime juice or yogurt).
4) Heat the milk till all the curd floats on top and the color of the liquid is pale yellow.
5) When you see this you can be sure that all the milk is turned to paneer. Let it cool for couple of minutes.
6) Then filter the Curd through the muslin cloth. Ideally its let to hang for it to drip all the water.
1. To quickly set the paneer just put a heavy flat bottom pan on top of the covered paneer and leave it for 15 mins. Good amount of water is squeezed out.
2. Also if you do bot have a muslin or cheese cloth, just use good quality clean paper towel to wrap around the paneer and follow the above process. its easy clean up
3) Don’t waste the leftover water. It is full of protein. This water can be used to cook rice, for preparing gravy or chapatti dough.