I am a big fan of spicy puffs. Growing up in Bhopal all the chaat items were always on top of my menu, especially the tasty puffs. I always wondered how they get those layers in puffs. a sucker for ‘making form scratch I have tried to make puff pastry sheets at home… but failed every time I tried. Never managed to get the same kind of layers in my puffs… But will keep trying util then…..
I have ( late but nonetheless) discovered these wonder pastry puff sheets. They make the whole process of making puffs much more simple. Just leave enough time to get the pastry sheets to room temperature and you are ready to go..
These pastry rolls are filed with veggies and you won’t even know. This also perfect for kids who are picky eaters… Now even for breakfast my hubby demands “Puffs”. Sounds crazy, right? Try this recipe and you might end up doing the same…
- French beans
- Bell pepper
- Corn Peas optional
- Lemon juice
- Jeera powder
- Garam masala powder
- Chilli powder
- Milk wash/ butter wash
- Chop beans ,carrot and other vegetables and cook them until they are done 3/4.Boil the potatoes, peel of the skin and mash them. Add all the cooked vegetables and the masalas with the mashed potatoes and mix well. Add the lemon juice and let it rest for a while.
Preparing pastry sheet:
- Keep the pastry sheet out of your fridge for at least 30 min and let them soften.
- Now cover your counter with some all purpose flour and roll out the sheet carefully with out tearing it. If it gets torn ,stick it with little water in your fingers.
- Next cut sheet into 4 equal parts. Place the stuffing on one half of each quarter leaving enough room in the corners. Brush the corners of each pastry sheet with milk wash or butter.
- 4) Fold the puffs and press the corners gently. By now your puffs would have become slogy and very soft.
- Put the puffs in a plate and keep them in the fridge for 10 – 15 min meanwhile preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Pull the puffs from the fridge and brush them with the egg wash or milk wash or butter and place them in the oven for about 15 min until they are golden brown and done. You can even make it in diff shapes.
- Pair them with any sauce you like.