This one of the my favorite dish . It is very simple to make and is really tasty . You can never mess it up. Baigan, Kathirikai or Eggplant call it as you wish but it tastes awesome anyways. I read that Eggplants are low in calories, but are a good source of fiber, carbohydrates, and offer a bit of protein, vitamin C and iron. (Nutrition information provided by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration).
The nutritional value and health benefits of eggplant makes it ideal for Maintaining optimum health and loosing weight. So those for you who are dieting here is your right choice. So this Baigan Bhartha is very simple to make and does not compensate the calories of eggplant so is healthy too.
Baingan bharta is a dish known to be from the the Punjab region of India. ‘Baingan ka bharta’ is now a staple part of cuisines of all regions prepared with slightly different ingredients with same basic processes . Eggplant is grilled over charcoal or direct fire and is then minced and cooked with roasted onion -tomato masala to make a delicious side for naan / roti and rice.
The uniqueness of this dish comes from the roasted vegetables that brings out the charred flavor. I love to make this rustic dish a bit spicy as its supposed to be. The middle eastern equivalent of this dish would be baba ghanouj….
- Brinjal 1 big size serves two
- Tomato 2 medium size
- Onion 1 big size
- Ginger Garlic paste
- Green chilli 3-4 Nos. acc. to taste
- Saffron 1/2 pinch
- Garam Masala powder 2 Tbs.
- Haldi/Turmaric 1 tsp.
- Amchoor powder 1/2 tsp.
- Butter 2 Tbs.
- lemon juice 1 tsp. optional
- Salt to taste
- Badi elaichi / 1 Nos.
- Cloves 1or 2 Nos.
- First grease the eggplant with little oil of your choice and broil it in the oven for 30 min or till it is done.
- If You have a burner then you can cook in flame.When the eggplant is getting ready we can prepare the other things.
- Chop the onion and one tomato really small. Cook the other tomato full and peel the skin.
- Once the Eggplant is done, cool it and peel the skin. Now mash it with the tomato or else you can even mix it in the food processor along with the green chillis.
- In a pan add little butter and Seasoning to it when the jeera/cumin starts to splutter add the onion and saute it till it turns golden brown.
- Now add the chopped tomato , ginger garlic paste and saute till the oil leaves the side. 7) Now add the mashed eggplant mixture to the pan and add the garam masala powder, amchoor powder,turmaric and salt. And let it cook for 10 to 15 min.
- One the oil leaves the side remove from heat garnish with coriander leaves and lemon juice (optional).
Tried this recipe? I’d love to know your feedback. Tag @amomscookbook on Instagram and hashtag it #amomscookbook. You can follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for more such recipes.