Avial is a popular dish from god’s own country Kerala. Its a dish that completes any auspicious occasion without which a meal is practically incomplete. Its a very healthy dishes made with lot of fresh vegetables and cooked in coconut paste and. It is very easy and can be made any time very easily. There is no specific vegetables you need to have to make this dish. Any vegetable in hand can be used. But traditioanly vegetables that are called “naatu kaai” are used in it like yam, plantain, pumpkin, carrots, beans, drum sticks, snake gourd and broad beans etc… Since it has all kind of vegetables and very little oil it is very nutritious and healthy.
Drumsticks one of the main ingredient of the dish is very high in nutrients particularly Vitamin C.
Drumstick – 1/2 cup or 2 sticks
Carrot – 1/4 cup
Beans – 1/4 cup
Potato – 1/4 cup
Yellow squash – 1/4 cup
Capsicum – 1/4 cup
peas – 1/4 cup
any other vegetable of your choice like brinjal, cauliflower, white squash, chayote squash etc..
Coconut – 1/2 cup
(grated or sliced)
Jeera – 1 Tbs
Ginger – 1/2 inch
Green chillies as per taste
Thick curd – 1 to 1.5 cup
Coconut Oil – 2 tbs
Mustard – 12 tsp
Curry Leaves – one starnd
1) Wash all the vegetables thoroughly and cut them into long finger size pieces or cubes. Just make sure there are not too small.
2) Cook the cut vegetables with salt and water( add little water so that the vegetables don’t lose their shape).
3) The vegetables should be soft enough to break when you press it with your thumb. Do not over cook.
4) If there is excess water left in the bottom strain it and leave the vegetables in the strainer for a while.( the strained water is like a vegetable stock so this can be used to make soup)
5) Now grind the coconut, whole jeera, green chili and the ginger into a course paste adding the strained water as required. don’t make it too watery.
6) It should be somewhere between semisolid and watery so that it coats the vegetables.
7) In a wok add the strained vegetables and the ground paste and cook them for few minutes
8) Now add the curd and give it a quick stair. Do reduce the flame before adding curd or else it will break.
9) Let it cook for 2-3 min in low flame.
10) Season it with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add little coconut on top before serving.
It smells and tastes awesome.Goes good with Adai ( dal dosa) and hot rice. mumm yummoo.