Well okra, bindi, vendakkai or Ladies finger what ever you may call it, is one vegetable that is rich in vitamin C and A, B complex vitamin, iron and calcium.It is low in calories and good source of fiber.Above all it is fat free. As kids we always heard this “it will improve your math skills”.
Should be green in color, tender to touch and easily to break. Choose okras that are young, tender but have firm pods. Store it in refrigerator not more than 2-3 days.There are so many ways it can be made that it is hard to choose some time. I like to try make as many dishes as possible.
- 5 cups Okra
- 2 tbs Sunflower Oil – or any other oil
- 2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 5-6 tbs Coconut –
- 4-5 nos red chilles –
- 1/2 inch ginger
- coriander – a hand full
- curry leaves – few
- Asefotida hing
- Cut the okra into small round pieces.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds to the oil when it starts splattering add the cut okra and turmeric powder.
- Let the okra cook thoroughly till it is done. once it is more than 3/4 done add the ground paste to it.
- Make sure to grind the ingredients with minimum water so that it holds on as a paste and does not become too watery . Add salt to the okra when it is cooking to get the maximum flavour.
- Let the paste and okra work together nicely. let it fry in low flame for a while, once it is done and becomes soft remove from flame and relish it with hot hot rice or serve it as a side dish.