Horse gram ( kollu ) is a very interesting and one of less known dals.
I started off making kollu rasam and ended up giving it a small twist in the end by adding juice of fresh orange. I found the taste of this combination very interesting and tasty. Hope you too enjoy it
Kollu - Orange Rasam| Rasam Soup
Boiled Kollu – water & some dal itself
Juice of – 2 orange
Tomato – 1 cubed
Garlic cloves – 2 (optional )
Ginger -1/2 inch
Honey – 1 spoon
**Rasam powder – 2 spoon
Mustard – 1/2 spoon
Jeera -1/2 spoon
Tulsi leaves – couple of pinches
Can also add some Kada Asafetida.
1) Pressure Cook the Kollu. When fully cooked drain the water from it and grind 2 –3 spoons of the cooked dal with the drained water.
2) Squeeze fresh orange juice (sour oranges are better)
3) In a deep vessel add the mixture from 1 with the cubed tomato, crushed garlic and grated ginger. Let it cook and come to a boil.
4) Now add the orange juice, honey and the Rasam powder. Let it come together till it forms a thin bubbley layer on the top.
5) In some oil ( ghee is yummy) add the mustard and jeera. Before adding it to the rasam add the kada Asafetida and tulsi leaves to the seasoning.
6) Garnish with coriander leaves.
Note : If the orange is not tangy enough you can add some lemon juice in the end or tamarind water in the step 1.
Ada– appadi podu aruvaala 🙂>>You should maybe think about writing a book about your interesting combinations Ramya.. >>Now before I start to make this (which god alone knows when!!), I will make sure I have kollu right in front of me unlike my omam fiasco *LOL*>>Interesting one..
Wow, did not know there was such a detailed blog on south indian dishes… Maybe I should rekindle my interest in coooking and try these out 🙂