All this week I have been just trying to use whatever leftover vegetables I had in my fridge. Today’s inspiration came from Spinach and little leftover Cauliflower I found staring at me :).
You will find numerous ways to make this dish, with couple of different ingredients you can change how it tastes.
Imagination is your limit. I wanted to spice it up a little bit so tried this new method and it turned out yummy.
Spinach Cauliflower Rice
Cooked Basmati rice – 1.5 cup
Palak/Spinach – 1 bunch ( 2-3 cups)
Cauliflower florets – 1/2 cup
Sweetcorn – 1/2 cup
Onion – 1 small
Ginger – small piece julienned
(Shahi)Jeera – t tsp
Cloves – 2 nos
Bayleaf – 1 no
Salt to taste
Cumin- Coriander powder – 1 spoon
Red chilli powder – 2 pinches
Butter (optional) – little
Garlic – 1 large clove
Green Chillies – 2
1. In a pan add 3-4 tbs oil and add Shahi jeera, bayleaf, cloves when jeera starts to splutter add the cut onions and fry for couple of minuets
2. Now add the cauliflower florets and corn kernels to the mixture and fry together. Make sure it fry it in med to med-high so it does not leave any water.
3. Add a little salt, turmeric, cumin- coriander powder and pinch of red chilli powder just enough for this mixture.
4. Let this mixture cook until it turns to golden brown color. once done transfer into another bowl.
1. In the same pan add the ground spinach mixture and let it simmer. You can add little oil if you need. The leftover oil should be enough.
2. Add a bit of salt and turmeric to this mixture and let it simmer down. it should become like a thick paste and not watery.
Once spinach mixture is ready add the cauliflower mixture to it and mix well. in the hot pan. Let it sit for 5 minuets. (You can store this mixture in an airtight container in the fridge up to 2 days)
Mix the prepared masala with rice and add little bit of butter (optional). Garnish with julienned ginger on top and serve it with coriander or Raita. I am off to dig in.