Pall Kootu is usually made out of white pumpkin or surakkai/ bottle guard. This is not a typical kootu but has abundance of flavor and taste. It is slightly sweet as jaggery or sugar is added to the dish.
I made it with Yellow pumpkin and it is sweet enough so I skipped the sugar in my recipe. but if you would like to make it extra sweet add 1/2 spoon of sugar
Pumpkin Paal Kootu
Yellow pumpkin – 3 cups
Coconut – 1 to 1.5 cup
Water – 1/2 cup
Milk – 2 cup
Green chillis- 2 ( 3 if less spicy)
Rice soked in water – pinch or 2
Jaggery or sugar – 1-2 tsp ( optional)
1. Cook the cubed yellow pumpkin in the 1/2 cup water with the required salt until it become tender.
2. Grind the grated coconut, green chilies with little milk into a smooth paste.
3. Add the ground paste to the cooked pumpkin and let it simmer in low to med flame for 5-8 min.
( if you are adding sugar add it at this point)
4. When you see froth form on the sides remove from heat. ( don’t let it boil)
5. Temper with mustard seed, urad dal and curry leaves in coconut oil.
It is perfect side with vatha kuzambu or Adai.