I moved from down south to the Bhopal, the city of lakes, as a teenager. I started out as a nervous newcomer but slowly adapted so well that I would be mistaken to be a north Indian occasionally…. I have lots of very fond memories growing up in Bhopal. Food is always been part of the experience. Local cuisine was a mix of cuisines from nearby places and variety of chaat/snack items has been part of this tasteful journey…
Indori style poha was always top of my favorite comfort food. The warm poha was served alongside with some crispy jilabies and that unique combination worked somehow. Poha is a very popular breakfast and prepared differently in different part of the nearby states.
Kandha Poha comes from the Maharashtrian cuisine. The soft poha with sweet caramelized onions and the crispy soft potatoes with a hint of lemon topped with fresh chopped tomatoes and cilantro is pure heaven .. I just listed out all the main ingredients :). Poha is flattened rice and from what I read it is filled with nutrition, a very good source of iron and also good for diabetics.
- Medium Poha – 2 cups
- Onion – 1 medium sized
- Potato- 1-2 boiled
- Sweet Peas – 1/2 cup
- Peanuts – 2 tbs optional
- Cumin/Jeera – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tbs
- Green chilis- 1-2 nos ( slit into 2
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Lemon juice – 2 tbs
- Fresh cilantro few stands
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbs
- Soak the poha in enough water so it is completely immersed in water. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes for it to puff up.
- In a pan heat the oil. Once its hot add cumin and the slit chilis. When the cumin starts to splutter add the turmeric to the it. ( if you are adding peanuts this is when you would add it.)
- Now add the cut onions and fry until it turns translucent. At this point add the grated ginger.
- Add the chopped potato and cook till soft. Then add in the peas to the mixture and stair for 5-7 minutes.
- When peas looks slightly withered add the sugar. Then add in the soaked poha to the pan and mix well. Let the mixture cook in low flame for about 5 minutes.
- When done add the lemon juice and mix
- Garnish with cilantro and chopped tomato. Sprinkle sev and serve.