Avalakki Bisi Bela Bath is made with same aromatic bisi bele bath powder where soaked Aval ( avalakki ) is used instead of rice.
Bisi Bele Bath is a very famous dish from Karnataka – Udipi cuisine savored by everyone who has tried it. It looks similar to sambar saadam but has a special masala powder that gives it its unique taste. Bisi bela bath translates to hot lentil rice. Usually any bath is made with rice and has a very distinct flavor.
Here I have a made this very popular dish using aval ( avalakki ) instead of rice. Now a days we even get brown aval which can also be used for this preparation. The aval used should be the thick variety. its easy to make if you have the ingredients ready. Checkout the authentic Bisi Bele Bath | Hot Lentil Rice and the Bisi Bele Bath Powder
Avalakki Bisi Bela Bath | Flattened Rice BBB
- Vegetables potato, beans, carrot, peas, drumstick, capsicum = 1- 2 cup
- Onion – 1 nos cut into cubs ( optional)
- Tomato – 1 nos
- Aval – 1 cup
- Split pigeon pea/toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Tamarind paste – 1.5 spoons
- Besi bela bath powder – 2 tbs
- Salt to taste
- Besi Bela Bath powder dry roast and grind
- Ghee – 1 tbs
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Cashew nuts 10
- Soak the aval /flattened rice in water for 1/2 hour and pressure cook the toor dal. the toor dal should be well cooked and should be mushy.
- Mix the the tamarind paste to one cup water.
- In a heavy bottom pan add the tamarind water and all the vegetable and onions. Add the required salt to this mix and let the vegetables cook. You can also pressure cook the vegetables but I like to cook it separately because it holds its shape better this way.
- In a mixer add the 2 spoon of the bath powder and the cut tomatos and give it a quick beat. Make a thick paste.
- When the vegetable are half way done add the paste to the pan and let the vegetables cook in it for 5-6 minutes. Add water if needed.
- Now add the cooked dal to the mixture and cook for another 5 minutes. When all this comes together add in the soaked aval to the pan and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Temper with mustard , cashew and curry leaves. serve hot with potato chips or papad.
Try this unique dish and let me kbow ho you like it. You can pin it for later reference. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for more such recipes and food photography. Don’t forget to comment and rate the recipe here.