California Dates – 4 cups
Tamarind pulp – 3 cups
Salt to taste
Jeera Powder – 3 tsp
Amchoor powder – 2 tsp
Chilli powder – 2 tsp ( adjust if you want less spicy)
1) Soak the Tamarind and the Dates for 5 to 6 hrs
2) When its soft to the touch grind the tamarind and date into a smooth paste
3) Filter out the pulp to remove any dirt from the pulp.
4) Make sure to remove all the seeds from the dates and the tamarind before grinding.
5) Once the paste is ready let the mixture boil in a heavy bottom pan ( I use my Iron Kadai. its very handy)
6) Add all the powders to the boiling mix until the tamarind is cooked well.
7) Let the water dry up such that the consistency is think and pulpy.