You must be thinking what kind of a recipe is this? Everyone knows how to make cucumber salad. Let me assure you, these few simple ingredients takes the salad to the next level. This is my side/subzi for rice on days that my pantry is running low on supplies or I don’t have time to cook.
This also doubles up as a healthy snack for kids. Mine just love cucumbers in general and this salad is a favorite.
Cucumbers – 5 to 10 Persian or 2 to 3 regular ( just avoid the once that are too watery)
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
Urad dal – 2 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Hing – 1/4 tsp or 1-2 pinch
Green chilis – 1 slit in the middle ( optional)
- Wash and chop the cucumbers into really small pieces. I like to cut it into really small pieces.
- Keep it in a bowl. now add the salt, grated coconut, chopped coriander and curry leaves to this.
- in a separate kadai(pan) heat the oil and add the musturd and let it crackle
- Now and the dal and let it turn golden brown. now turn off the heat and add the hing and chilis to it and temper the cucumbers.
- The salad is ready to serve.