I have always cooked my biryani with store bought garam masala powders and never with any Biryani Masala.
But this time I wanted to try making the biryani form scratch. i.e including the masala etc.. I enjoyed the flavors of this home made masala and the biryani turned out pretty good. I did add little bit of red chili powder and coriander powder to the biryani gravy on top of this masala to have more control on spice.
Biryani Masala | Dum Biryani Masala
Cinnamon/ Dal cheeni/Pattai – 2 long
Caraway seeds/Shahi jeera/Karun Jeragam- 1 tbs
Cumin/ Jeera/Jeragam – 1 tbs
Mace/Javitri/ Jadhikai thol- 3 nos
Nutmeg/Jaiphal/Jadikai – 1 nos
Black peppers/Kali Mirch/Milagu – 1/2 tbs
Black cardamom/ Badi Elachi/Kaatu Elakkai- 2 nos
Green cardamom/Elaichi/Elakai – 6 nos
Cloves/Krambu/Lavang – 1/2 tbs
Star Anies/Chakra Phool /Annachi mokku- 1/2 tbs
Bay leaf/Tej patta/ biringi elai- 3 nos
- Dry roast each of the ingredient separately till the masala starts giving out aroma
- Roast in low flame to avoid burning.
- Let it cool down completely. It is very important to let it cool otherwise the moisture will build up while grinding and will spoil soon.
- Once it comes to room temperature grind it all to a smooth powder
- Store in a air tight container