Kadai Paneer is another Paneer lovers, favorite dish. I call it part of the Paneer Tio – Kadai Paneer, Shahi Paneer and Paneer Makhani/Panner butter Masala. No North- Indian restaurant menu is complete without these three paneer dishes.
If you are a spice lover like me and want to eat a paneer dish that is not too rich but full of flavor then Kadai Paneer is here for your rescue. It has the wonderful flavors without all the heavy lifting.
There are two variations of Kadai Paneer – dry and with gravy. Both versions have big pieces of onion, tomato and capsicum that are added towards the end to retain the crunchiness. I believe the dry version Kadai Paneer is also called Paneer Jalfarazi.
The freshly ground kadai masala gives the dish the fresh smell and taste. Here is the recipie for both kadai masala and the Kadai Paneer panner.
Kadai Paneer | Kadai Paneer Gravy
For Kadai masala
Coriander seeds – 1Tbs
Cumin seeds – 1 Tbs
Pepper corns/Kali mirch/ Milagu – 2 tsp
Fennel seeds/Sounf/Sombu – 1/2 to 1 tsp
Red chills – 2-4
- Dry roast and grind it into a course powder
For Kadai Paneer:
Paneer cubes – 1 cup
Onions – 1/2 onion cut into cube
Tomato – 1 tomato cut into cube
Green Bell pepper – 1/2 cup cut into cube
Salt to taste
Kadai Masala – 1 to 2 tbs
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Paprika / kashmiri red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Dry spices / masalas – Cumin, Cloves, Bay leaves
Oil or butter – 2 Tbs
Onion – 1/2 onion
Tomato – 1 to 2 small or 1 large tomato.
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Ginger – 1/2 inch
Garlic – 3 pods
- Grind the gravy ingredients together into a smooth mixture.
- In a pan add the oil ( or butter) and heat it. once hot add the dry masalas.
- When the masalas splatter add in the gravy mix to the pan and let it cook add litte water if needed.
- When the mixture starts to boil and the raw smell goes away add in the dry masala powders – Turmeric, chili powder and red chili powder one at a time.
- Let the mixture blend well at the point the gravy should be free of the raw onion smell and the oil should be released from the side of the pan.
- Add in the onions, paneer and capsicum cubes to the gravy and add the Kadai masala. Cover and cook for about 5 mins.
- Add the tomatos to the mix and let i simmer for couple of more minutes.
- Now turn off the stove and garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and julienned ginger pieces.
- Serve it with hot rice or Naan/Roti. Devine!