Here is healthy dish which is a meal in its own. Its a perfect dish when you want to impress your guests with a fancy dish in parties, gatherings. Quick and easy. no cutting , no chopping. Just whip up a quick gravy, put it in the oven and get on with your chores.
I Loooove Cauliflower!! It is one of my most favoooooraite veggies.(Btw, the extra ooo’s are not typos 😉 ). I love cauliflower in any shape or from, but there was time when I would not accept that which was unknown to me as a vegetable. …YES there was a time when I did not like this vegetable nor was not willing to give it a try.
Thanks to my cousins and whatever they made for me with cauliflower, once I tasted it I fell in love with it. Its can transforms into variety of dishes on its own or become part of any dish – Gobi Manchurian, Aloo Gobi, Gobi Paratha, Gobi 65, Kurma, gobi fry, Gobi Biryani, pulav… just to name a few Indian dishes.
I love to experiment with cauliflower and cook up new dishes and this Whole roasted cauliflower is a new addition to my fav list. I am big fan of food network as it gives me ideas and educates me of new techniques. And cauliflower is one of the first few vegetables that come to my mind when I want to transform a meat based dish to a vegetarian one.
Recently this has also being used as rice substitute in many diet namely Keto and Paleo diets. I should say it does the job very well.
Here is one such dish ! I roasted the flower for thanksgiving last year and the kids were thrilled to follow a thanksgiving tradition with a veggie dish. All in all it is a perfect holiday meal and keeper as a holiday tradition.
Whole Roasted Cauliflower
Whole cauliflower – 1 medium head
Chilli sauce – 8 tbs
Tomato Ketchup – 1/2 cup
Soy sauce – 4 tbs
Rice vinegar – 4 tbs
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Salt as needed
water as needed.
Oil = 2 tsp
- First pre-heat the over to 350 and get to work
- In a pan add little oil and add the chilli sauce. I make simple chilli sauce handy to use for any dish. I soak and grind the chillis along with the garlic an cook it some oil. once the oil starts to release form the sides the chilli sauce is ready.
- Now let the sauce cook for a minute and then add in the soy sauce and salt/sugar,
- Let all this dissolve and now add in the tomato ketchup to the mix let all of this cook well and then add the rice vinegar and give the mix a quick stir and turn of the heat.
- Prep the cauliflower by cutting the stem very close to the flower head.
- Now turn the flower head upside and slowly add the gravy such that the gravy seeps into all the nerves of the flower.
- Now its time to brush the top with the reminder of the gravy. also if need apply little more oil do its well greased in the oven.
- Let it rest for few minutes and then put it in the preheated oven for an hour ( or longer depending if the size of the flower is big) .
- Slow cooking is the key as it ensures that cauliflower is cooked thoroughly from within.
- Now the flower is ready to be served hot and fuming.
Note: I did make this half and half with and without the gravy. make sure to make the gravy sightly salty since this is what will flavor the flower.