Here is a kids favorite fast food dish made healthy with fresh ingredients. This is a perfect dish to indulge in when you crave for something new or want something out of your routine. ‘Build-your-own Chalupa’ is perfect way to engage your little guests in parties and equally fun for your grown up gathering Or make it for a fun family night!
Chalupas were fascinating for me when I first tasted it. I saw chalupas as a layered version of our good old Channa Bhatura which is paired with cucumber raita and salad. I always wanted to give it a try at home and finally got to do it with a twist.
Here I have prepared a minced cauliflower chalupa that is layered with Pico de Gallo, sweet peppers and lettuce. I replaced the sour cream with thick yogurt and topped it with home made fire sauce taco bell style.
The girls were head over heals when they got Chalupas for dinner and were more than thrilled to build their own. It was super fun as we raced up to see who gets to eat more chalupas. In the end all that was let was, messy plate, super filled tummy and happy faces. Hope you have as much fun as had making and tasting these Minced Cauliflower Chalupa!!
Whole Roasted Cauliflower
For soft tacos:
Wheat flour – 1cup
All purpose flour – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1 tsp
water or milk as needed
cauliflower – 2 -3 cups minced
carrot – 1/2 cup minced
garbanzo beans – 3/4th cup cooked
Salt to taste
Chilli powder – 1/2 tbs
Masala powder – 1 tbs
jeera – 1/2 tsp
oil – 2 tsp
Tomato/cucumber salsa – 1 cup
onion – 1/4 finely chopped
Jalapenos/ Sweet peppers – few
For fiery sauce
4 tbs regular tomato Ketchup
1 tsp – spicy chili powder
1/2 tsp – coriander powder
water as needed
For soft tacos:
- Add all the dry ingredients in to a mixing bowl and mix well
- Make sure to mix the salt and baking powder well into the flour.
- Now slowly add the milk to the dry ingredients and knead it into a smooth dough.
- The texture should be soft but not sticky.
- You can use a little bit of oil if you need to bring it together.
- let the mix rest well for 1-2 hrs
- Once ready keand the dough one more time and make medium size balls of the dough.
- Now roll out the ball to round about 1/2 inch tick. Poke the rolled out to void puffing up of the chalupa.
- Deep fry the chalupas for few secs on both sides and then fold in the middle when in the oil.
- This will help get the half moon shape to stuff the filling.
- Keep the chalupas on a serving plate.
For cauliflower filling:
- While the dough is resting get the filling ready. Grate the cauliflower and carrot.
- Grind the garbanzo beans separately to a powdery consistency.
- In a pan add little oil and add all the dry spices – Salt to taste, Chilli powder, Masala powder , jeera.
- Once the spice breaks down add in the veggie mix and cook it a bit.
- Don’t over cook it. once the water is dried up in the mix add in the ground garbanzo beans.
- let it cook and absorb any excess water.
- The filling is ready for the chalupa.
For fiery sauce:
- In a pan add the regular tomato ketchep and add the spicy chili powder and coriander powder.
- Add little water and let the mix simmer till the water evaporates.
- The fiery sauce is ready for garish.
- chop the tomatos and onions and cilantro and mix it with some salt and lemon to make a pica de gallo.
- Chop the sweet peppers and keep it as separate garnish.
- Julianne cabbage or lettuce
The Chalupa Assembly:
- Take a chalupa shell and fill it with the minced cauliflower mix.
- then add a layer of lettuce.
- top it with ica de gallo
- followed by the peppers and the fiery sauce.
- top it with cilantro and cheese (optional)
Tried this recipe? Share it on Instagram with hashtag #amomscookbook!