A clean and aromatic rice dish that is made of rice and peas and flavored with aromatic whole spice. this is a perfect side for any kind of gravy.
Matar pulav/Peas pulav is the simplest of rice dish to cook next to plain rice that is :). These were some of the dishes that I started to make as started cooking. Matar pulav simply made of peas, some dry spices and green chilies. You can totally skip the green chilies if you want to make it totally kid friendly. It’s a 4 main ingredient recipe and cooks in about 30 mins. It can’t get any easier than that.
The sweetness of the peas and the aroma of the whole spices cooked it Buttre/Ghee make this dish very inviting and this just pairs too well with any spicy side of paneer, dal , with plain raita or any gravy. As always fresh peas are better option to frozen but I did use frozen peas in my recipe as fresh were not available in my area. It and it turned out pretty good.
To make this vegan dish simply replace the ghee with oil of your choice and the dish tasted equally good.
Pease may not be a kid favorite but mine don’t mind as long as I highlight the paneer so I usually make this with paneer gravies so i can sneak in the peas unnoticed. I pared this with my Channa paneer Masala. You can also try these other panner gravies Shahi Paneer, Kadai Paneer, Palak Paneer, Paneer chettinadu, Paneer do Payaza, Paneer butter masala
Here is the OPOS and Instapot kid friendly Matar Pulav recipe. For me every Pulav has to have a specific color to make me drool its just my thing. My peas pulav turned out to be the perfect pale green color that I was looking for so it was cherry on the top. Not that the color defines the taste but it definitely makes me hungry and excited. Lets get to the recipe.
Matar Pulav |Peas Pulav
1 Cup Rice
1/2 cup Peas
2 cups water
2 green chilies slit vertically
2 cloves garlic crushed
Salt to taste
2 tbs Coriander chopped for garnish.
3 -4 Oil or Ghee
2 bay leaves
1 piece Cinnamon
2-3 Small cardamom
2 tsp Jeera
- Turn your Instapot to saute mode and get all your ingredients ready to go.
- Once the display turns to HOT add in the oil or Ghee and add all the dry spices.
- Once the Jeera starts to splutter add the slit green chilies and the crushed garlic to the pot.
- Saute for couple of minutes to let the chilies and garlic release its aroma.
- Add the peas to the mix and saute for a minute and then add in the rice and salt.
- Quickly add the water to the pot and give the mix a stir.
- close the lid and change the settings to the manual mode and cook for about 8-9 mins.
- Once the pressure is released open the lid and garnish the pulav with the chopped coriander leaves.
- Enjoy it with a spicy gravy or raita !!