Jamun is referred to either to a fruit or the sweet dish that is dipped in the sugar syrup. But here is a fun way to use your leftover jamun mix or you can by it jus to try this recipe….
During Diwali kids were asking for Jamun and I could not find a small packet in the store … either they ran out of it or the stores assumed everyone will need these bigger size packets. any way I had to get these mega size jamun mix. Obviously I did not want to make jamuns out the whole thing so I had some left over.
Over the weekend I was lazy to cook elaborate and was looking for quick fixes meal and i saw the jamun mix. I was if I can make Jamun malai koftas why not the South Indian vadas?
So here is a quick easy No soak, no grind – Crispy and soft onion vadas ready in 15 mins…
Its very simple to make all you need is Jamun mix, all purpose flour and little rice flour. Mix it all and add in the onions, chilies and coriander leaves and deep fry to enjoy the Jamun Vadas.
Jamun Mix Vada – No soak No grind Vadas
Jamun mix – 1/2 cup
All purpose flour – 1/4 cup
Rice flour -1/4 th cup
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Onion – 1 med – big
Green chilies – as per taste
Ginger – small piece
Coriander leaves – few stands
Curry leaves – few
salt as needed
Water to mix
Oil to fry
- Mix all the dry ingredients – Jamun Mix , APF , Rice flour, salt and Baking soda in a bowl and mix well.
- Chop the onions and the green chilies finely and then mix it with the dry ingredients.
- Before adding the water grate the ginger and cut the coriander and curry leaves and mix all this with the dry ingredients as well.
- Now slowly add water and mix all the ingredients into tight mix.
- The mixture will be slightly sticky but its ok.
- once all the ingredients come together, remove all the dough form you hand.
- Apply some oil in your clean hands and with a light hand mix the dough one more time.
- Apply some water and take small amount of dough in hand. Flatten the dough and make a small hole in the middle.
- Drop the shaped dough into the hot oil and try it in med to med-low flame till the vadas turn into golden brown.