Indian dal/Soup made with red lentils or masoor dal is a easy
stovetop or instant pot pressure cooker recipe that makes for a simple vegan meal. Paired with rice or bread, it is a
protein filled, hearty, comforting meal.
Masoor or red lentil, is a brown skinned lentil that is orange on the inside. Masoor dal has a very earthy flavor and somewhat resembles Horsegram. It is commonly used in North Indian cuisine, specially to make dal – soups and stews. This also comes split and without the skin which is more commonly used .
Being a vegetarian, I try to include a variety of lentils in our diet to round up the health benefits of all kind of protein. Black gram dal and moong dal are hailed has the healthiest among the dals bur Massor has its benefits too.
It is high fiber, lean protein that is rich in vitamins and iron.
This can be a weekend brunch or light dinner soup that will be a pleasant break from otherwise seemingly routine dishes like Dal Makani, Channa Masala etc. Its easy to whip up in your instapot with very little mess. Its perfect for those lazy days or super busy ones alike.
Red Lentil Soup | Masoor Dal soup
1.5 cup Red lentil /Massor dal
2 tbs Moong dal
1 medium Onion
1/2 cup leeks (optional)
2 small tomatoes
1 tbs Ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp paprika powder
Coriander leaves for garnish
Salt to taste
Clarified butter/Ghee – 1 tbs
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
1 tsp pepper corns
- Add the red lentils and the moong dal in a bowl and let them soak in there till you are ready to add them in the pot
- Turn on your InstaPot to sauté mode. Once it turns hot add ghee and add the seasoning ingredients.
- Roast the dry masalas until it starts spluttering and releasing aroma. Add the ginger garlic paste. Saute for about a minute. Make sure not to burn.
- Then add in the leeks, onions and sauté for 5 minutes till it is well done. Adding a little sat speeds up the cooking process. Add in all the masala powders at this point
- Now add in the tomatoes 2 -3 cups of water cook it for another 5 mins. At this point add in the carrots and
- . Now add the soaked dals to the pot and let it cook in open for 2 mins.
- Then switch the Instapot to pressure cook mode in and cook for 10 to 12 mins
- Once done, let the pressure release naturally, takes about 20 mins. Now open and give the mix a nice stir slightly mash it up .
- Now add in the freshly cut coriander leaves and serve hot with bread or rice
Great post 😁