Gobi Manchurian is an popular Indo-Chinese dish. Battered and deep fried cauliflower florets are tossed in a spicy Shenzhen sauce. Prepared both dry and wet is fine snack or appetizer
Who does not like deep fried crispy cauliflowers and the with tang and spice? This has become my kids absolute favorite these days and every time we dine in an Indian restaurant kids jump to order their favorite Gobi Manchurian and mango lassi.
Indo-chinese is the adaptation of Chinese seasoning and cooking techniques to Indian tastes through a larger offering to also include vegetarian dishes. The Indian-style Chinese cuisine is said to have been developed by the small Chinese community that has lived in Kolkata for over a century. Today, Chinese food is an integral part of the Indian culinary scene.
As a kid these were exotic dishes that were only rarely available to us on special celebratory occasions.
Like every middle class we also did things on budget….Oh we used to soo dig it, me and my bro… cold war for every last bite. Every bit was precious as these flavors and taste will have to stay until next time.
Mom never cared much for masala and garlicky dishes and dad would say No at first but then slowly start digging in Lol. Few other favorites were Noodles, Sweet corn soup and Louts root Manchurian.
• 2 cups Cauliflower florets
• 1 /2 cup capsicum (any color)
• 3-4 Tbs corn flour
• ½ tsp paprika
• 2 tsp spicy hot chilli sauce ( I used Schezwan chilli sauce)
• Ginger garlic paste
• 3 tsp Tomato sauce
• 2 tsp soy sauce
• 1 tsp rice vinegar
• 1 -2 spring onions
• Salt to taste
• Oil to fry – 2 tbs
1. Cut the cauliflower in to big florets.
2. Add the corn flour, paprika and salt to the cut florets and toss. The flour should coat all the florets.
3. Sprinkle some water so the flour sticks to all the florets evenly
4. Let it sit for 5-10 mins.
5. Heat up the oil for frying in the meantime.
6. When the oil is hot deep fry the cauliflower florets until crisp in batches and set it aside.
7. For the sauce heat a little oil in the deep pan and add ginger garlic paste and cut shallots or spring onions.
8. Now add in the cut capsicum and give it a quick fry for 2 mins.
9. When fried add in the chilli sauce, tomato paste, soy sauce and rice vinegar to it and cook it for 2 mins.
10. Ensure the sauce is not too thick.
11. Add the fried cauliflower florets to the sauce and toss well. Make sure to coat every bit.
12. Sprinkle spring onion greens on it.