Kandantipili Rasam powder is a super handy home remedy for cold, cough and stomach upset. This rasam has made it into our menu at least once a week
Rasam always brings soo many memories. Mid morning thatha is getting ready for his sandhya vandhanam and applying the vibhuthi pattai on his forehead, hands and chest while chanting his shlokas. While the house is smells of the incense sticks, the kitchen brings a whole different aromas… Amma is meticulously preparing the Rasam on one stove and Sambar on the other.
Those days it was just 2 burner stove and mom had to plan so she can get everything ready for the Tiffin wala ( the person that came home to pick up appa’s career). She is finishing up the meal prep with prungayam/Hing, tadka , which takes it to a new level, at the same time as Thatha is finishing up his paryers. And my tummy growls from the smell of rasam and sambar.
She packs up appa’s lunch and calls us for lunch. Steaming hot rice and ghee invites us as we start with sambar and slurp the rasam and finish our meal with cool cool thayir ( curd). I can smell all the flavors as if t was just now…Ufff….. Such is the taste of simple home cooked meal.
Here is a good read on the benefits of KandanThipili and Arisithippili.
Kandanthippili Rasam Powder
- Dhaniya – 1/4 cups
- Jeera – 1 cup
- Black Pepper corns – 1 Tbs
- Toor Dal – 1/2 cup
- Kandanthippili – 2 Tbs
- Arisu thippili – 2 tbs
- Red chillies – 5 to 10
- Turmeric – acc to desired color
- Dry roast all of the above ingredients separately as they have different cooking time. .
- Once the ingredients start releasing aromas, its dry roasted.
- Let it cool for 3-5 mins so that it does not sweat while grinding and becomes lumpy
- Once its cooled down grind it into a smooth powder.
- Make sure to cool it down after grinding it. If you store it in a airtight container without cooling it will sweat and spoil soon.
Tried this recipe? I’d love to know your feedback. Tag @amomscookbook on Instagram and hashtag it #amomscookbook. You can follow me on Facebook, , Pinterest and Instagram for more such recipes.
Great post 😁
Very good for health! thanks for the share