Spinach -Mint paratha is a flavorful, delicious and healthy Indian flatbread made from mildly spiced whole wheat flour combined with pureed spinach and mint. Mostly spinach paratha is made by mixing chopped spinach with whole wheat flour and some spice powders. But I like the smooth texture and the vibrant green color of the parathas when that comes from the ground spinach
Palak is a good source of fiber along with essential vitamins and minerals. Spinach always reminds me of Popeye the sailor who gulps down cans of spinach to bet up the bad guys…. Well this dis will not make you strong overnight but will defiantly good for health
By itself it does not taste much but combined this way makes it very appetizing. Moreover, this is one of the best ways to get kids eat their greens as well. I also make Palak paneer which my kiddos enjoy check out my palak paneer recipe as well.
Now I am not new to making palak paratha but one of the Instagram post triggered my interest in capturing this green beauty in a very different light… literally in a different light..
Bitten by the #darkfoodphoto and artificial lighting (oh boy I guess I took up too much too soon… U can tell) I have been trying to get a hang of it for some time…..It’s challenging enough to get these dark shots let alone finding some focused time at it…..
After much struggle and like close to 100 clicks..I managed to get one decent shot…. Well that is the advantage of digital pictures there are no real constraints on how much you can shoot…. and guess it’s how you learn.
Just a little background… I was super impressed with @loveisinmytummy shot that she had posted on the action shot of making of the secret dough recipe and fell in love with……. that is what inspired me to click my mint-spinach chappathi/ bread dough. And a loose attempt at it…
Now that the beauty is captured I can make and eat my chappthi in peace. I ground the spinach, greenchillis and little mint in a mixie and add it to the chappthi flour. Mix some slat and knead it into a smooth dough. Let it rest for 30 mins. Then divide it into even sized balls and roll out the Parathas.
Mint-Spinach Paratha | FlatBread
- 2-3 cups Wheat flour
- 1 cup Spinach leaves washed and ground
- 1-2 stands Mint leaves washed and ground
- 2 nos Green chillies optional
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of suger
- 1 to 1.5 cup water adjust as needed
- In a bowl add in the wheat flour and salt and sugar and mix well. the sugar and salt should be mixed well with the flour.
- Grind Mint and Spinach into a paste. Add water as needed. Add as little water as needed. Add green chillis if you plan to add.
- Add the paste to the flour mix and mix well. Once all the flour is well mixed add water as needed to make a soft and smooth dough.
- Apply little oil to your hands to finish kneading the dough. The final dough should be soft, non sticky and bouncy.
- Cover and Let it rest for a 15-30 minutes to allow the gluten to build.
- Heat a an or tava to medium heat while you roll the parathas.
- Now make small balls of the dough and roll it into small circles. Apply oil or ghee to the rolled dough and fold it into circle.
- Roll the folded ball into a nice thin circle. Apply some dry wheat flour to help with the rolling. This will help avoid sticking of the dough.
- Once the tava is hot, add the rolled parathas to the pan and let it cook in both sides. There should be bubble pockets that should pop when cooked
- Now apply oil or ghee on both sides of Paratha and let to cook in medium flame. Both sides should turn golden.
- Don’t over cook as it can get too crisp and dry. When done serve hot with side of choice. Enjoy Spinach Paratha!
Tried this recipe? I’d love to know your feedback. Tag @amomscookbook on Instagram and hashtag it #amomscookbook. You can follow me on Facebook,Pinterest and Instagram for more such recipes.
Great post 😁