Pulao is flavored rice that is made with primarily basmati rice. It can be vegetable based, paneer pulao , lentil based or even meat based pulao/ pilaf. It is aromatic, delicious, super quick one pot meal that is also healthy. Another popular variety of pulao is tawa pulao which is made by mixing cooked rice and with leftover pavbhaji gravy and vegetables.
Over the weekend I was looking to make something quick between chores. I had some leftover soaked dry peas and little paneer and store bough Naan. So I made this quick meal that was done in about 40 mins. checkout few other pulao recipes Coriander Pulav, Peas Pulav.
For the peas pulao I simply added the dry peas, dry masalas, green chilies, and the usual- garlic, ginger, dry masalas. Cooked it all in my instant pot while it was cooking grated some beetroot in yogurt. Added sat and tempering to the raita and served it with hot pulao. It was super yummy. Here is the detailed recipe for the peas pulao and beetroot raita which pared so well. I will try the different variation of beetroot raita soon…
Also here I have garnished the pulao with some lightly brown peas to add a pop of color to the dish. This is totally optional and the pulao tastes just as good without this step. This just adds more interest and layer to the dish. I bet it will taste even better if you add some fried dry fruits like Raisins and cashews… Hummm I am going to try this next time for sure
Dry peas Pulao and Beetroot raita
Dry Peas Pulao
- Dry yellow peas 1/2 cup soaked
- Green peas – 3 tbs cup
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Garlic optional – 1-2 cloves
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves – 1 small bunch for garnish
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Green chillies – 1to 2 as per taste
- pulav masala – 1 -2 tsp
- coriander-cumin powder – 1tsp
- Jeera/Cumin – 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaf – 1-2
- Cloves- 3-4
- Oil – 5 tbs
Beet Root Raita
- Grated Beetroot -1/2 cup
- yogurt – 1 to 1.5 cups
- salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- curry leaves – one samll strand
- hing – a pinch or 2
Dry peas pulao
- Turn on the instant pot to saute mode and let it heat up. When the display turns to hot, add the oil and let it heat.
- When the oil is heated all in the tempering ingredients – Jeera followed by bay leaf and cloves. Once its starts spluttering add the dry soaked peas, salt and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the garlic pods and saute it for couple of minutes and then add in the slit green chilies
- Now add the basmati or preferred rice to the instantpot and add the pulao masala and coriander-cumin powder and give it a good mix. also add salt at this time.
- Now add required water to the rice. I usually do 1:2or rice:water. but for pulao I go little less on water more like 1 cup rice and 1 3/4 cup rice.
- Turn the Instant pot to manual or pressure cook mode and cook it for goo 7-8 minutes in pressure mode and let it release naturally.
- Once the pressure cools down open the instantpot and garnish with coriander leaves and fried green peas to add some pop and color. This is optional.
- Serve with beetroot raita.
- Add the grated beetroot with the whisked yogurt and salt and mix well
- Now in a small pan add oil and let it heat. once hot add the mustard seeds and urad dal. let it splatter and turn golden.
- Turn off the heat and then add the green chilies , curry leaves and hing and add this mix to the Raita