My love for paneer is never ending. I love all things paneer. Here is another paneer dish added to the growing list of paneer
sides. This one was last minute recipe on a weekday night… I
sometimes try to relax by cooking something fancy to compensate for a
hectic day …. I know it sounds oxymoron but I do…
I added my fav achaar mango pickle to this.
Achari Paneer is a tangy, spicy simple preparation of Paneer in pickling spices. ‘Achar’ means Pickle and this paneer dis is actually cooked in pickling spice and picle gravy. I has a unique taste and flavor to it. The unique taste of the pickle adds a different layer to the paneer dish
Here I have used whole achari masala to the dish and not everyone likes the texture of the whole spices. If you prefer you can also dry roast and grind the masala and add that to the dish. This intensifies the flavor than adding the masala whole but in a good way.
Among all the paneer dishes I have tried and made this is one of my favorites and usually add the mango pickle to the gravy and that enhances the flavor of the dish.
Achari paneer can be made dry on skewers or gravy based. the dry version the veggies are marinated in the achari masala and grilled to intensify the flavors. This is one such dish that is simple and easy to cook and yet ends up tasting like one has spent hours in the kitchen perfecting it
I can’t wait to fire up he grill to make the dry version of the achari paneer this summer. Kids are already asking for a outdoor lunch and grilled corn and paneer.
Achari Paneer | Paneer in pickled gravy
- 1 cup Paneer cubes
- 1/2 cup Capsicum cubes
- 2 medium size Onions
- 2 medium size Tomatoes
- 2 cloves Gralic
- 1 small piece Ginger
- 1 tbs any pickle of choice
- 2-3 tbs Cream or yogurt optinal
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tbs Butter
- 1/2 tsp musturd seeds Achari spice
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds Achari spice
- 1/2 tsp fennul seeds Achari spice
- 1/2 tsp Jeera seeds Achari spice
- 1/2 tsp kalonji seeds Achari spice
- 2 nos cardamom Whole Masala
- 1 nos bay leaf Whole Masala
- 4 nos cloves Whole Masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmuric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Kasoori methi
- 1 tsp Amchoor powder
- 1 tsp cooriander and cumin powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder to taste
- Prep by grinding onion and tomato into a smooth paste with ginger and garlic. alternately you can also add the ginger garlic paste.
- In a pan add little oil and fry the paneer to golden brown and set it aside
- In the same pan add oil and butter and let it heat. Then add the Aachari spice mix and let it splutter.
- Then add in the whole garam masala and let it release the aroma. add the turmeric powder and saute for few seconds.
- Once done add in the puree to the mix and let the mixture cook till the raw smell is gone.
- Now add the dry masala except for the garam masala to the mix and let it cool till the oil releases on the sides. Takes about 10 – 15 mins in low to med flame
- Now add in the whisked yogurt and let it boil for 3-4 minutes. Then add in the Pickle gravy of choice and let it mix well.
- Slightly fried panner to the gravy and cook the panner in the gravy for another 5 mins.
- Then add the capsicum and cook it for 3-4 mins. Do not over cook the capsicum. then crush some kasoori methi on to the gravy .
- Garnish with cream and fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with parathas
Tried this recipe? I’d love to know your feedback. Tag @amomscookbookon Instagram and hashtag it #amomscookbook. You can follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for more such recipes.