Ingi and Mangai come together in this dish as dashing duo. This is a spicy and tasty South Indian gravy prepared by cooking fresh ginger and raw mango in a tamarind based gravy. It is different from maanga ingi.
With Mango making the rounds its inevitable I make my favorite Maanga and Ingi puli Kuzhambu. This is one dish that’s simple, bursting with flavors. Usually Saturday and Sunday meals has one variety of vathal kuzhabu aka puli kuzhambu. In this dish I added ginger to bring that distinct spicy flavor and it complimented the sweet and tangyness for Raw mangoes.
Hear I grind both the raw mangos and ginger separately and then prepare this recipe the regular vathalkuzhanbu. Instead of adding any other vegetable that can overpower the flavors of mango and ginger I leave these to be the start of the dish.
It is common to make ingi kuzhambu and it is prepared many different ways. Amma makes the best ingi kuzhambu…Always rt? She makes it two diffferent wats one is by chopping the ginger and making it with tamarind and let it thicken by adding the sambar powder , here the ginger is nice and caramelized and also tangy from the tamarind. She also make a thokku type of kuzhanbu with ginger where there is a tad bit extra sweetness from jagarry is added. Both versions are really good.
I always start out making the simple version of the ingi kuzhambu but end up adding other ingredients to spice it up a bit. Check out my Ingi -omam kuzhambu. I hope I will get to making the simple and classic version this some day.. until then here Inji Manga Kuzhambu….
Inji Manga Kuzhambu | Mango Ginger gravy
- 1/4 cup Mango paste cut mango
- 2 tbs Ground ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbs Sambar powder Adjust to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tbs jaggery also can add suger
- 1 green chillis slit in half (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Tamarind paste optional depending on the mango sourness
- 3 tbsp Oil of choice
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 strand Curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Hing or perungayam
- Cut mango into mall cubes. Grind it into a smooth paste. you want close to 1/4 th cup of the ground paste so approx 1/2 cup of cut mangoes
- Chop and grind 2 tbs of ginger into a smooth paste. Make sure to use tender and fresh ginger. set aside both ground paste.
- In a heavy bottom pan add the oil and let it heat. Once its hot add the mustard seeds and wait fir it to splatter.
- Now add the curry leaves and all the masala powders to the hot oil. Let it roast for a minute.
- Once the masala aroma is released add in the ground mango and ginger paste and add little water.
- Then add salt and tamarind ans let the mixture come to a boil. Takes about 10 mins . Ensure to turn the flame to low-med.
- At this time add the sugar or jaggery to the mix . The kuzhambu will come together. Turn off the flame and and serve hot with rice.