Traditionally during Tamil New Year and Ugadi festivals its customary to make mangai pachadi. It is believed to be symbolism of life itself, a perfect balance all 6 flavors – Thitipu (sweet), Pulippu (sour), Uppu (salty), Kasapu (bitter), Kaaram (spicy) and Thuvarpu (Astringency).
But this does not have to be a yearly affair. I love to make this and eat it with my toast for breakfast or as a lunch side for rice. This can also be eaten by itself or with dosa, rice or chappati too. Summer is the best time to make and enjoy this unique dish to hearts content.
This version of Indian Sweet Mango Chutney Recipe will taste best when made using the raw green mangoes. As the raw mango adds a distinct tart flavor to this flavorful chutney.
If you want to make and store this chutney for a week or so skip the curry leaves and reduce chutney it to a thick consistency. I have chopped my mangoes into cubes here but alternately the mangoes can also be grated if you want to make it spreadable for toast and such.
Mangai Pachadi | Sweet Mango Chutney
- 1 cup Green Mango ( a bit tanggy)
- 1 cup Jaggery
- 1 tsp Tamarind
- 1 tsp Neem Leaves
- Turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbs Oil of choice
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 nos Red chillis
- 1/2 tsp Hing or perungayam
- 1 strand Curry Leaves
- Melt the jaggery in a heavy bottom pan with little water about 1/2 cup. Do not add too much water.
- Then stain the mix it to remove any impurities and set it aside.
- Now cut the mango into small cubes and boil it in water till it changes color.
- Once it's 3/4 th done add the jaggery water and 1 tsp tamarind and let the mango cook it in the mix.
- Add salt ,turmeric and reduce the mix to a sticky consistency.
- In about 1 tbs oil add mustard and let it splutter
- Now add the neem leaves, broken red chillis and hing and turn off the heat (you can add curry leaves if you like
Tried this recipe? I’d love to know your feedback. Tag @amomscookbookon Instagram and hashtag it #amomscookbook. You can follow me on Facebook, Pinterestand Instagram for more such recipes.