This avocado toast with spiced chickpeas and California avocado is a super tasty and nourishing meal. It makes for an awesome breakfast or brunch.
Avocado is our family favorite and we all love to eat just the guacamole for snack. Kids do lobe anything avocado as long as its not spicy. This is perfect dish for both kids and adults as it can be made mildly spicy for kids liking and little zing for adults by topping the toast off with some red pepper flakes.
You can make it more interesting by adding more veggies of choice and beefing it up a bit. I like to keep it simple so the avocado and chickpea can be the starts of the dish. I roasted the cooked chickpea in some smoked paprika and salt and added it to the toast topped with avocado and tomato. Garnished with little lemon juice and freshly chopped coriander leaves.
You can also switch up the spices when roasting the chickpeas to give this a different flavor every time like coriander and cumin powder or even the Indian Chaat masala powder and also add chopped onions if you like raw onion. This is a great breakfast, brunch or even a snack.
Also the kind of bread you use will totally change the experience as well. Here I simply used the regular soft bread which can get soggy if not eaten right away. So make sure toast and assemble right before you serve. Then there is the hard bread varieties like duch oven and baguette that can hold shape and perfect for a party type serving. No matter what bread you choose this will taste good the same. Whip up a quick meal and enjoy!!
Spicy Chickpea Avocado Toast
- Regular white bread/ sourdough bread or bread of choice
- 1-2 Ripe Avocado
- 1/4 cup Pesto Sauce
- 1 Tomato small
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup Channa/Garbanzo beans cooked
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- salt to taste
- Heat a skillet or a frying pan with a bit of olive oil, then add the cooked chickpea and roast it in with the masala powders.
- Once its a bit charred remove it in a bowl
- Take slices of toast or any bread that you wish to use and toast for a minute or two on
both sides until you reach the golden color on the same tava/pan
- now Assemble the toast – Apply pesto Sauce
- Add the sliced avacado and chopped tomatoes. Add crushed black pepper and salt as needed.
- Then top it with the spicy, charred chickpeas. Garnish with chopped coriander