Can you taste the crunch in your mouth? Yes, these Onion Stuffed Squash Blossoms are supper crisp and great tasting onion filling which leaves you craving for more.
Squash blossoms are edible flowers from that can be picked from different types of squash plants. Make sure to pick only male flowers and leave the female for pollination and produce some fruit. I just learns that myself after the fact… The flowers have a very subtle flavor and can blend with anything its cooked with and can also be eaten raw.
Squash blossoms can be stuffed, battered and fried and also made into soup. Its primarily used in Mexican cuisine, especially in Central Mexico prominently in soups, as a filling for quesadillas or deep fried with variety of stuffing.
These Beautiful Squash Blossom are one of my other farmer’s market find. Have been wanting to cook with squash blossom for soooo long but could never find it stores easily. Finally spotted these in the market and I was super thrilled. Now I had to make the most popular fried squash blossoms. Being a vegetarian the obvious choice was cheese stuffed squash blossoms but my none of us are cheese fans at home so I had to get a bit creative.
Our most fav snack is Onion Samosa or Iranian samosa so I mixed these 2 things and here is Onion Stuffed Squash Blossoms…. managed to make it over the weekend and Kids enjoyed it so much that this our new favorite evening/teatime snack… Pluck out the pistils from inside of you are using the female flower.
Here is a how I prepared it… Cleaned and removed the pistils from the flower an let it dry on a cotton cloth. Then get the onion stuffing ready by adding sliced onions, flattened rice, green chillies and chaat masala. let it rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the batter with rice flour, pancake mix, oregano seeds and salt. Let it sit for few minutes.
Fill the squash blossoms generously and make sure the filling in not too much and stays in. Do not worry if the flower tiers it will be fine after you coat with the batter. Prepare enough to go in one batch and them dip them in the batter and fry them in hot oil.
Onion Stuffed Squash Blossoms
- 10-15 Fresh Squash blossoms
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup Rice flour
- 1/4 cup Pancake mix
- 1/4 tsp Oregano seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 large Onion julienned
- 1-2 green chillies chopped (optional)
- 3-4 tsp thin flattened rice
- 1 tsp Indian Chaat masala
- salt to taste
- Chopped coriander to taste
For squad blossom Filling
- In a large bowl add slicked onions and poha with green chilis also add chilli powder, Chaat masala and salt.
- Then add ginger and coriander leaves and set it aside. Get the batter ready
- In another pan add the rice flour, pancake mix, salt and the oregano seeds and mix well
- Add water as need and mix it well. It should have a nice flowy consistency at the same time should be thick enough to coat the blossoms.
- Add oil to a heavy bottom pan and let it
- Now take the filling and fill the washed and dried squash blossoms generously. make sure the filling in not too much and stays in.
- Do not worry if the flower tiers it will be fine after you coat with the batter. Make a batch of these before you start frying
- Dip the squash blossoms in the batter and slowly drop these into the hot oil. (Make sure the oil is hot before frying)
- Remove from the oil when the it turns golden brown. Serve it with hot sauce.