Schezwan Hakka Noodles, one of the most popular dishes in India from Indo-Chinese cuisines. Indian Chinese cuisine or Sino-Indian cuisine is the adaptation of Chinese seasoning and cooking techniques to Indian tastes through a larger offering to also include vegetarian dishes ( from Wiki) .
I think we Indians are pretty good at adapting new cuisines and at the same time modify these cuisines to suit our taste buds…. and I am so glad we do. Everything about this unique cuisine, Indo-Chinese, is delicious and addictive. When thinking about ordering from a restaurant or eating something different than regular food this would be one of the first choices that comes to mind! Not just as take out, Schezwan Hakka Noodles, is super easy dish to make which also turns out super-delicious every single time.
The key ingredient of this dish – schezwan sauce and a good quality soy sauce! With a fiery and spicy taste, schezwan sauce will make your dish taste even more amazing. I usually try to make my schezwan sauce as we frequent this one and don’t want all the sodium from the store bought one. This is my go to recipe that the whole family enjoys every single time.
So the last time I went grocery shopping I bought one of those by one get one free noodle packets and was waiting to use it up. So when my bro said he was coming over for a sleepover it was perfect lazy weekend dinner. we had a can of ice cream after that with a nice movie. Well a Saturday well spent 🙂 … here is the recipe of the same.
Schezwan Hakka Noodles
- 3 packets Hakka Noodles
- 5-6 tbs Oil
- 1 medum Onions sliced thinly
- 1 tsp Garlic
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1- 2 cups Carrot julienned
- 2 cups Cabbage julienned
- 1 cup Capsicum julienned
- 4-5 stand Spring onions chopped
- 1/2 cup Schezwan Sauce – or to taste
- 2 tsp Soy sauce – 2 tsp
- 2 tsp Rice Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
Preparing the noodles
- Boil enough water in a large pot add some salt and oil to it. Let it start boiling.
- Add the noodles to the pot and let the noodles cook till its done. Do not over cook.
- Once the noodles are close to 3/4th done, run it under cold water and let it cool down.
Preparing the Hakka Noodles
- Add oil to a shallow pan and heat the oil to high temp
- Once the oil is hot, add garlic and chopped ginger. Let the garlic cook for few seconds,
- Now add few stands of chopped scallions and let it cook for another minute or so..stir constantly to avoid burning
- Add the julienne egetables and let it cook for 2 -3 minutes. do not over cook the vegetables as you want to maintain a little bit of the crunch.
- Then add in the Schezwan sauce, soy sauce and vinegar to the pan. Let the mixture cook for another 3-5 minutes,
- Add salt for the vegetables and stirring constantly.
- Once the veggies are done add the cooked cooled noodles and give it a good mix.
- Turn off the heat once everything is incorporated nicely.
- Garnish the noodles with chopped scallions.
- Optional step : Heat a bit of oil and add some red chilli powder and let it roast well. then add this to the noodles as garnish.
- Adding some ketchup with the schezwan sauce also tastes good and it is a good way to make it kid friendly.
- Also add any other vegetable of choice.