For me Idli batter is a weekday life savior. It is a must have for quick breakfast and/or dinner . Idli is originally form the sother art of India and is prepared in variety of ways across different states. In tamil nadu idli-rice and urad dal are used for the batter preparations and in Andhra /Karnataka idli rava and urad dal are used. Both have its unique taste and consistency.
Here I am posting the recipe of batter that is prepared in a wet grinder with Idli rice and urad dal.
Idli Batter 1
Ingredients: To soak
Idli Rice : 4-5 cups
Whole skinless Urad dal – 1 1/4 cups
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tbs
Poha – a handfull
1. Wash idli rice and urad dal thoroughly.
2. Soak the idli rice/poha and urad dal / fenugreek seeds combinations separately overnight.
3. In the morning grind the urad dal and rice separately in the same order. (Urad dal gets little sticky. when ground. Grinding it first followed by rice next helps it easily clean it from the grinder)
4. Empty it in a vessel large enough to let the batter raise. Add required salt and mix throughly.
5. Cover it with a lid and keep it in a warm place. I generally place it in the oven over a large plate with the oven lights on.
6. In the morning the batter will have risen.
Tried this recipe? Share it on Instagram with hashtag #amomscookbook!
Pour the batter in the idli plates and steam it in a idli cooker or regular cooker. Let it cool and remove it. Soft and white idli’s are ready to dig in.